"What do you want to be?" "Happy," she says with a smile. - Colleen Hoover

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Ex's & OMG's Review: Atheists Who Kneel & Pray by Tarryn Fisher

On Tuesday I told you all about the new series I'm starting on my blog that I'm doing with my good friend Heather. The series is called Ex's and OMG's and Atheists Who Kneel & Pray is our first book. Enjoy our thoughts!!

Kayleigh:
If you follow Colleen Hoover to the extreme like I do - wow stalker much? - then you all know that she's friends with Tarryn Fisher. Even though she doesn't like her at all of course. (See if you stalk her...I mean follow her...then you'll get that little joke.)
I'm a huge Colleen Hoover fan - whaaaaat? I know, you're shocked - and when I saw her talk about this book on her CoHorts Facebook page I knew I had to check it out. I mean look at that cover.
The book follows Yara who is basically a gypsy. The girl can't stay in one place for to long, always needing the thrill of something new. She's also a self proclaimed muse and lucky for her our love interest David is in need of that very thing. So muse she becomes. But of course the two fall for each other and end up married. Now I know you're probably like um Kayleigh thanks for spoiling that but I swear I'm not. The reason I liked this book was because Tarryn is a really great writer and I've never read anything like this. Plus David was perfection. (Anyone remember that scene from Friends with Chandler and the gum? Gum would be perfection?)
What I didn't like was the back and forth. There were sometimes through out the book where I got really confused because she starts it back in time and then goes to present day. But then goes back again. And then back to now. If you aren't paying close attention it's easy to get confused.
All in all though I did enjoy it!!

Heather:
Okay so I went into the book not knowing much about it which is how I like to start most books, with a clean unbiased slate. So to my surprise it was nothing at all what I was picturing. I fell in love with Yara right away...this brash outspoken woman that was riddled with complexity. Then you meet David, this mysterious guy that sweeps in, is all kinds of charismatic and then leaves you wanting more. There is this push and pull between them that makes you feel like they are meant to be, but then you quickly realize this isn't a fairytale at all.
As I continued to read I found myself drawn more into the story, I needed to know what was going to happen, how would it end? I liked how it was written in dual perspective so I was able to feel from both of their points of view, which were drastically different. I ended up reading it in two days and when I was finished with the book I was left feeling closure, like I could move on with my life and not constantly wonder about it. Now I will say that there were times when I found Yara to be a bit dramatic for me, like she's too much in her head in my opinion and I would need to take a break because I found myself getting annoyed with her. David however sucked me right in, I felt like was this old soul trapped in a younger body and he was the reason that I needed to know what was going to hapen. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is a true believer in real love, the messy complicated kind that doesn't always make sense on paper.


Buy Atheists Who Kneel and Pray Here:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Kobo

No comments:

Post a Comment